Please select various resources on this site from the menu below.

Please select various resources on this site from the menu above.

About Clarion County

Legend held that the Clarion River was called "Stump" or "Toby" Creek after two Indian trappers.

The river was not steamboat navigable, but it was filled with numerous rafts and coal boats.  Once, steamboats on the Allegheny (irregular schedules and only ran part of the year) and stage coaches were the only means of travel.

From Perry Township, a Bicentennial Perspective, Joelle Logue, Editor, published June, 1976:

          Page 2:  The Clarion River was originally called "Toby" or "Stump" Creek.  In 1817, Daniel Stanard and David Lawson were surveying for a state road between Bedford and Franklin and remarked that the clear sounds of the distant ripples reminded them of a clarion.  The name was not officially accepted until 1819; even then the older folks held onto the names "Stump" and "Toby" with considerable tenacity.  These names did not disappear completely until 1840.

The picture at left below is the mouth of the Clarion River about 1916.  The picture at right is the Clarion River at Cooksburg.

Mouth of Clarion River in 1916       Clarion River at Cooksburg
Click the link below to share this site with your friends. A new window will open. (We don't collect e-mail addresses.)
We recommend...

Copyright Information

Unless otherwise indicated, all content and images contained in this domain path [] are copyrighted exclusively to Billie R. McNamara.  All international rights reserved. All material donated by others or located on-line is identified, and copyright in those items is vested in the owner(s).  No copyright infringement is intended by the inclusion of Web-available information on this site for the benefit of researchers.

Neither the Webmistress nor the PAGenWeb Project is responsible for the availability or content of any external Web sites or pages linked from this site.  All links are provided for information purposes only.